Telecommunications in American Samoa
In 2009, American Samoa was connected to the Internet using the American Samoa Hawaii Cable (ASH) undersea cable that increased bandwidth from 20 Mbit/s to 1 Gbit/s. The project used a defunct PacRim East cable built in 1993 that previously connected Hawaii with New Zealand. The cable system now connects Samoa to American Samoa and then to Hawaii where it will connect to global submarine networks.
Main lines in use: 10,400 (2004)
country comparison to the world: 202
Mobile cellular: 2,200 (2004)
country comparison to the world: 210
domestic: good telex, telegraph, facsimile and cellular telephone services; domestic satellite system with 1 Comsat earth station
international: satellite earth station - 1 Intelsat (Pacific Ocean)
international access code: +1.684 (in the North American Numbering Plan, Area code 684)
Radio broadcast stations: AM 2, FM 5, shortwave 0 (2005)
Radios: 57,000 (1997)
Television broadcast stations: 4 (2006) Televisions: 14,000 (1997)
Internet Hosts: 1,923 (2008)
country comparison to the world: 141
Internet users: NA
Situation in 2016
In 2012 American Samoa had the most expensive internet in America according to Engadget.
Under Governor Togiola Tulafono investment in a fibre optic network to replace aging copper infrastructure across all the islands of American Samoa and the construction in 2015 of a 1.2Gbit/s satellite uplink via O3b Networks which more than doubled available bandwidth to the rest of the world resulted in broadband internet becoming more affordable, with the price of the cheapest available residential package decreasing from $75/month to $50/month and download speeds of the base package increasing from 256kbit/s to 768kbit/s. The improved connectivity to the outside world has revived previously stalled hopes that a call centre could be opened in American Samoa, boosting the local economy.
- "iTWire - Samoans one step closer to broadband". www.itwire.com. Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- eLandia. "eLandia and American Samoa Inaugurate Submarine Cable". Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- ASTCA - Samoatelco , BlueSky Communications , Pacifica IT  Archived 2007-08-22 at the Wayback Machine.
- "The most expensive internet in America: fighting to bring affordable broadband to American Samoa". Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- "AMERICAN SAMOA FIBER OPTIC NETWORK". Underground Construction. Oildom Publishing Company of Texas, Inc. December 2015. Archived from the original on 2016-12-22. Retrieved 2016-12-22.
- "American Samoa Telecommunications Authority (ASTCA) Goes Live with O3b Networks, Significantly Improves Broadband-based Services to Territory Residents". O3b Networks. 2015-06-15. Archived from the original on 2016-12-22. Retrieved 2016-12-22.
- "Internet - ASTCA". 10 November 2015. Archived from the original on 10 November 2015. Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- "Economic Development plan revives hope for call center". Osini Faleatasi Inc. 2015-02-15. Retrieved 2016-12-22.
|This American Samoa-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|